One good thing about the extreme hot weather is that our long beans are growing fast and furious. Last week we had only 5-6 beans every morning. Today we picked at least 20-30 beans. We have cooked a lot of beans lately. I cooked this dish with two new sauces. It is not the flavor I have expected. But it is very easy to make, lots of flavor. A little too spicy for me. I think I can get used to it. Next time I will add some onion and garlic to give more flavors. This is a northern Chinese dish. A lot of people like it.
Chinese Long Beans
Stir Fried Spicy Beans ( 炸醬炒豆角 )
2 cups Chinese long beans, 2-inch long pieces
2 tablespoons bean paste
2 tablespoons (or less) chili oil
2 tablespoons (or less) hoisin sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Saute beans, onion and garlic for about 5-8 minutes over medium heat. Add bean paste, chili oil and hoisin sauce. Quickly stir fry until fragrant. Add about 1/4 cup water, cover the pan and cook another 5-8 minutes on medium low heat until beans are soften. That’s it. A nice side dish.
The Chinese long beans grow so fast we have to check them everyday so we can pick them at their best when young and slender. They are crisp and tender when picked before they reach full maturity. They begin to get dry and tough when longer than 18 inches. So far we have only picked five long beans, not enough to make a stir-fry. I had some tasty homemade char siu left in the refrigerator. Perfect to make bean and char siu fried eggs for breakfast.
Diced char siu and chopped long beans. Chives are optional.
Beans and eggs are deliciously good for you.
Bring out the cutting board and knife. Ready, chop.
Beans and Char Siu Fried Eggs (豆角叉燒煎蛋)
1) Cut the beans into 1/2-inch sections. Dice the char siu. Chop some chives, optional.
2) Beat 3 large eggs in a bowl with a small pinch of salt. Heat some oil in a frying pan, saute the beans first until tender.
3) Add meat and chives to the pan, season as needed. Cook until hot. Stir the eggs and pour over bean mixture.
4) Use a fork to quickly scramble the eggs from under, to blend with the beans and meat. Remove from heat when golden brown.
5) Serve with whatever you want. Long beans are high in protein, low in calories, no fat. Taste delicious. This is going to be a good day. I can feel it.